Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Death to the Luddites!


Well, several technology related things have been absorbing me lately, all of them on my computer. Most of all though, is my lovely new Lightscribe DVD burner. Basically, using special Lightscribe discs, which are covered in a heat-reactive dye, when I finish burning the info onto the disc, I then take it out of the writer, turn it over, and re-insert the disc face down into the writer, and the laser then activates the dye, burning the picture or text of my choice into the surface of the disc. No need for printers, inks, stickers, and no crappy scrawled felt tip labels. On the downside, the labels take about 15-18 mins each to burn, and so far the technology only allows for sepia 2-tone labels. Give it time though, and I'm sure the software will speed up, and they will find a way of printing full colour labels. On the upside, the labels look beautiful, with sharp, clear lines. I've had nothing but positive comments from friends who I've given these discs to so far, and I'll definitely continue to use them. Will be happy when they get cheaper too, they're currently among the most expensive discs on the market, meaning I'm pretty selective about my use of them, preferring to keep them aside for birthday presents etc, rather than everyday use.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! It's nice to be able to keep a personal touch with using technology.