Tuesday, December 4, 2007

imagin' all the generators...


Played around with a few of the generators, found myself particularly fond of the Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator (Yes, Walker Texas Ranger is my idea of entertainment) and the crossword generator also caught my attention, particularly after watching the documentary "Wordplay" about the New York Times annual crossword competition. This one doesn't like you to try and be too clever, the more intersecting words you give it for the template, the less chance you have of it saying "yes." The less structure you form within the template to start with, the easier it is for the program to cope. Also, you end up with words that aren't part of everyday language, acronyms, and oddities that exist only in crossword or scrabble dictionaries, not in normal peoples minds. I highlighted my words in red, and the computer then filled in the rest. I was pleased to see that it included LSD as one of the answers, but another one RND seemed like a cheap filler word. I like the concept, but I would still get more satisfaction out of creating my own with pen and paper.

No comments: